My Invisalign treatment Journey

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Cleaning Invisalign Aligners

I am happy to endure a lot in pursuit of my Hollywood smile, but one thing that I’m not prepared to suffer is bad breath. I have begged my friends to tell me if they smells even the slightest whiff, but honestly, I think they are too kind to bring it up. Kids, however, are another story and would gleefully revel in letting me know, so it’s them I am relying on as an early warning system.

My orthodontist’s suggestions for caring for your aligners involved cleaning them with a soft toothbrush and water (but no toothpaste) and I read somewhere to soak them daily in a solution of 1/10 parts bleach and water. However, I am squeamish about chemicals,  Not only that, I think the bleachy smell alone is enough to put me off- I don’t want to give myself excuses not to wear them.
 
Consequently, I have developed my own little cleaning system, and am happy to report that three weeks in, both sets of aligners have stayed crystal clear and odor free.
 
Infectiguard Instant Hand Sanitizer: 8 OZ w/ FREE 0.5 OZ Travel Size**PLEASE wash/sanitize your hands prior to putting them in your mouth- it's disgusting if youre not already doing that- reminder not every wash their hand when they leave the restroom. so unless you want to find out what poop & urine taste like.... WASH YOUR HANDS!!*** 
 
Firstly, and I think this is crucial, I don’t ever eat or drink anything except water while wearing my aligners. I am also absolutely fastidious about rinsing them under running water after I remove them from my mouth. Believe me, this is important -if you forget to do it by the time you come to reinsert them they are less than fragrant.
 
Secondly before I put them back in I do the full brush, floss, rinse routine, almost without exception. The only times I haven’t been able to do this because I have forgotten my toothbrush I have at least flushed my mouth thoroughly with water before putting them back in, and then taken them out and brushed as soon as I get the chance. I do notice when I do this that they have a very slight smell- personally, I don’t think it is ideal, even though an intern from my ortho’s office says she did that all the time.
 
Lastly, when I clean and floss for the last time at night I soak them in a denture bath(a small plastic tub) with water and a Polidenttablet. This gives them a slight pinky tinge, which rinses off under running water, but definitely makes them seem fresher. I should point out that Invisalign expressly recommend against this. I wouldn’t want to lead anyone astray…

                         FYI- MOUTHWASH WILL STAIN THEM OVER TIME

-♥Essie

-I'll post more as I learn more tips and trick of the trade

My invisalign Update: I'm currently one set away from being half way {Today's date: 7/19/11}

Be sure to Visit my youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/Ladyen7

No comments:

Post a Comment